Monday, November 21, 2011

Chia Seed Experiment 1 - Honey Orange Chicken

I saw chia seeds on the show 'Eat Yourself Sexy' where the woman was putting them into yogurt.  I thought to myself, 'Hmm, I bet I wouldn't be able to buy them here'. I would have lost the bet. The nearist town with a decent grocery store (albeit an hour and a half away) had them. As soon as I saw them I swooped across the lino flooring and grabbed a pack.

You can google the info about chia seeds yourself if you are interested in their nutritional details.

So, this evening I decided to test them.  I tried this recipe:


Honey and Orange Chicken

500gm chicken breast
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Broccoli florets
Brown rice (instant microwave packet for the win)

  1. Slice chicken and stir fry.
  2. While chicken cooks, mix liquids and seeds in a jug.
  3. Add broccoli florets to chicken and stir fry.
  4. Add sauce.
  5. Serve with brown rice.
This will serve 4 adult sized portions. Guess we will be eating this again tomorrow night.

I got the original recipe from here, and it's a simple yummy recipe. My husband didn't even notice the seeds.  Speaking of seeds, I don't really know what I was expecting. I guess they are kind of like poppy seeds in texture, so just imagine adding poppy seeds to stuff and you'll understand.